Hemp seed is a Superfood and is part of what I call, the Superfoods family. Don’t hesitate to have a look on my other article “Superfoods” if you don’t remember what a Superfood is.
What can I learn about that Hemp seed ?
Hemp seeds are the seeds of the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa; They are from the same species as cannabis (marijuana).
Despite their relation to marijuana, hemp seeds contain virtually no trace of the psychoactive ingredient (THC), the compound that causes the dug-like effects of marijuana.
Hemp seeds can be consumed raw, cooked or roasted. Hemp seed oil is also very healthy, and has been used as a food/medicine in China for at least 3,000 years.
Along with being eaten just as they are, hemp seeds are used in a growing number of food products today, including hemp milk, hemp butter, hemp protein and even hemp tofu!
What are the benefits of eating Hemp seeds ?
Hemp seeds are a good source of vitamins and minerals. They contain:
- Omega-3 fatty acids (which may prevent sudden heart attack and stroke; play a role in regulating blood pressure, blood clotting, immunity and brain function)
- Omega-6 fatty acids (play the same role as Omega 3, but Omega-6 also regulates cellular functions and gene expressions)
- Vitamin E (good for your skin, hair, eyes, heart; balances cholesterol; acts as a antioxidant and boosts the immune system; balances hormones; improves physical endurance and muscle strength)
- Iron (important component of hemoglobin, the substance in red blood cells that carries oxygen from your lungs to transport it throughout your body)
- Calcium (which is bone-friendly)
- Magnesium (wait.. another bone-friendly ?!)
- Phosphorus ( strengthens your bones and teeth; increases memory and mental functions)
- Sodium (it helps to control your body’s fluid balance; It also helps send nerve impulses and affects muscle function)
- Sulfur (maintains healthy joints and boosts the immune system)
- Zinc (Zinc promotes growth and acts as a wound healing)
- Potassium (helps to maintain consistent blood pressure)
- Manganese (too many bone-friendly in Hemp seeds..)
Hemp seeds are also awesome for:
- Their very high amount of proteins.
- Their high amounts of amino acids, are used in our bodies to produce a gas molecule that makes the blood vessels dilate and relax, leading to lowered blood pressure and a reduced risk of heart disease.
- Some other amino acids have been linked to reduced inflammation, which may decrease the risk of diseases like heart disease.
- The minerals they contain, as they fight against diseases.
- Their powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Do not forget that these are in no way some “miracle” food, capable of saving us from diseases. The basis to a good health is simply to eat healthy and to exercise!
You enjoyed reading this article ? You have questions ? You found this article helpful ? Don’t hesitate to leave a message and to hit the like button !
See you soon for another article, your healthful blogger in sports.