Blueberry is a Superfood and is part of what I call, the Superfoods family. Don’t hesitate to have a look on my other article “Superfoods” if you don’t remember what a Superfood is.
Where does the Blueberry come from:
These blueberries can be found in the wild in Eurasia and North America.
These berries are sweet, tasty, nutritious and very popular. During the middle age, these berries were used in Europe as a medicine for their circulatory, antidiabetic and diuretic virtues.
Blueberries are believed to contain the highest antioxidant capacity of ALL commonly consumed fruits and vegetables. That’s why, I personally eat these berries nearly every morning, for breakfast. 🙂
What are the real benefits of eating the Blueberries ?
Blueberries are a good source of vitamins and minerals. They contain:
- Vitamin C (boosts the immune system)
- Vitamin K (plays a role in blood clotting, bone metabolism, and regulating blood calcium levels) .
- Fibers (promote movements trough your digestive system)
- Manganese ( bone-friendly, boosts the immune system and acts as an antioxidant)
- A huge quantity of Antioxidants (boost your immune system, protect your heart, eyes, memory and mood)
Blueberries are also awesome for:
- Boosting the immune system
- Helping maintain blood sugar levels
- Reducing DNA damage, which may help protect against ageing and cancer
- Protecting the Cholesterol in your blood from becoming damaged
- Helping prevent heart desease
- Helping to Maintain Brain Function and Improve Memory
- Having some Anti-Diabetic effects
- Helping to fight Urinary Tract Infections
Blueberries also may help reduce muscle damage after strenuous exercise; by accelerating muscle recovery.
So what do you think ? Will you add them to your diet just like me ?
Do not forget that these are in no way some “miracle” food, capable of saving us from diseases. The basis to a good health is simply to eat healthy and to exercise!
You enjoyed reading this article ? You have questions ? You found this article helpful ? Don’t hesitate to leave a message and to hit the like button !
See you soon for another article, your healthful blogger in sports.